CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 20, 2009

Back in the Saddle

Well, this has been like the good old days, before I knew what followers were and I just tried to post twice a month.  I often didn't make that goal.  But blogging also took what was probably a more health place in my priority list.  But more on that to come.


Moving.  We are IN!  Or we are out, depending on how you look at it.  Being in is more exciting, but being out is the bigger relief.  I love our house.  It's beautiful and it functions well.  A large percentage of boxes are unpacked and already off to their next job moving a friend of ours.  There is certainly more to do.  The further along I get in unpacking, the more obnoxious the chore becomes.  I want to be magically done, and I also would like to know exactly where all the silly little things with no obvious home should go.  I hate big stacks of boxes in the garage or closet that remain untouched for years.

In the past, I have hung art and photos as I have unpacked, considering it part of the process.  When I'm finished, the house seems decorated.  This time there is a combination of the open-concept lack of wall-space and very large expanses of the walls that do exist.  They are so large that I feel silly hanging the little pictures that I own.  And by little, I mean big.  Just not enormous.  The walls, therefore, remain largely empty.  That fact bothers me.  But I will just need to live with it until I have cash to go buy some jumbo wall art.

Lest I sound ungrateful, I have to tell you all some of the great things about the house.  We are wired for sound in every room.  I can plug in my iPod, turn on some soft hits of the 70's, and it will play everywhere if I want, or just in one room.  I love this feature much more than I expected.  I love two dishwashers, which means no dishes stacked in the sink.  Ever.  I love a heated kitchen floor.  I love a central vac system.  I love my mud room, but I wish that less mud and dirt tracked from it into the kitchen.  I love, love, LOVE my pantry.  And the up-stairs laundry room.  And my library.  I love the open family office off of the kitchen.  There is really nothing I would change.  I guess that's what building a custom home is all about.  It was a great experience and it is a fantastic result.  We are very blessed.

When I dropped off of the face of the blogosphere I'd been working on a series of questions from my friend Sher.  I am working on the next installment of that for Monday.  In the mean time, have a great week-end.  It's good to be back.

22 fishy comments:

Kristina P. said...

I can't wait to see pictures of this fabulous house!

Shauna said...

I am excited to see pictures too!
It's great to hear from you! Have a great weekend! ♥ Hugs :)

Sher said...

I'm glad you are in and somewhat settled. I just did this a little over two years ago, and I NEVER want to do it again. I can't believe how much stuff we can accumulate!
I had a hard time knowing how to decorate too. Different homes call for different decor, I think.
I have a big 12 foot wall in my house, that seemed empty, so I painted it.
I did the faux sueded technnic, and it fills up the space without needing "stuff" on the wall.
I know painting doesn't sound like fun when you just moved.

But, I would totally drive to ID to come help you! We could make it a girls' weekend.

good luck!

Lara Neves said...

I am jealous of your sound system! That is what we want someday!

Those big walls would look great as photo walls...lots and lots of smaller pictures in similar frames. Those are my favorite things to do...and way cheaper than Jumbo art. :) I kind of hate the open plan we live in, too, because I love having stuff on the walls and I have a ton just in boxes because there really isn't a place for it all.

Annette Lyon said...

I was starting to wonder where you'd gone to. Duh--I forgot about the move!

Goob said...

I am so glad you've gotten moved in. Take the healthy approach back to blogging. I'm happy to see you back though.

Cajoh said...

Welcome back. I always find that unpacking is the worst part of moving— I think we still have some boxes unpacked after 11 years of living where we are.

Loralee and the gang... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Loralee and the gang... said...

Yeah, there are always boxes 'left over' when you move...you live it ID? What part? We are in north Idaho, next to Silverwood Theme park...and the picture dilemma? Try taking several pictures with the same theme and grouping them together within a mat with cutouts for each picture, in a Large frame. Then group several of those together, say, three lined up horizontally in the center of the large wall. If I find a picture of what I'm talking about somewhere, I'll email it to you. Happy decorating/unpacking!
:~D

Lisa said...

Good to have you back! Your house sounds incredible!

mCat said...

Your house sounds AMAZING!! I am already jillious!
And glad to have you back!

Heidi said...

Good for you!

Mel said...

It sounds like an incredible home, can't wait to see photos!!

Que and Brittany's Adoption Journey said...

I'm glad you are all moved in! Your pictures on facebook looked great!

Just SO said...

That does sound like a dream house! I'm glad that you are in (and out). I am totally with you on hanging things as I unpack. But the big walls do sound challenging.

Do you know Tara Whitney? (I LOVE her) Check out her blog she has a fabulous idea that she did with her family pictures. I want to do something like that. Here's the link to see what she did.

http://tarawhitney.com/justbeblogged/2008/06/opam-may-08-photo-wall-in-living-room-after/

Melanie Jacobson said...

Welcome back and congratulations. At least you had a cool reason for being gone.

Heatherlyn said...

sometimes art.com has canvas prints at very good prices. I always enjoy browsing.

Also, consider putting smaller squareish pieces together to form larger pieces. Something like that.

I love the 2 dishwashers!

Diane said...

Your new house sounds wonderful. Welcome back. Please share pics.

Wendyburd1 said...

the house sounds cool!!pics??

Brooke said...

Your house sounds so amazing! Hopefully we can see pictures soon. Congrats on almost being done! Moving stinks. But being in is a great feeling!

carrhop said...

So glad you're back and so glad you're moved in! I've missed you!
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the house